What is a Development Trust?
Development trusts are community owned and led organisations which operate as community and social enterprises. They are involved in trading in goods or services and helping to regenerate and grow community owned ‘assets’ and wealth in our communities.
Development trusts are part of a growing network of community owned enterprises and assets, in villages, towns, rural areas or cities, across Wales and the UK with the capacity to make a distinctive and powerful impact in their communities which continue to face economic and social exclusion.
Development trusts are organisations which are:-
- Engaged in the economic, environmental and social regeneration of a defined area or community
- Community based and owned
- Building Sustainable Communities
- Trading and delivering services, as community enterprises and growing community owned assets
- Not for private profit
- Independent, yet actively involved in partnerships and alliances between the community, voluntary, public and private sectors.